Whole Wheat Carrot Cake. Carrot cake is one of my favorites, and it's even better when I can actually feel good about eating it! 🙂 Frost with a cream cheese frosting (spreading apricot preserves This cake is pretty amazing. It's made without refined flour or sugar, but the taste and texture are sublime: it's not heavy at all. This healthy carrot cake recipe is incredibly moist and nobody will believe it's whole wheat!
This moist cake is a keeper and the kids will rave about it. I was looking for ways to use up the carrot pulp from my juicer and came across a good recipe for whole wheat carrot cake. I decided to make some substantial changes that resulted in a cake that is flavorful and very light. You can cook Whole Wheat Carrot Cake using 14 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Whole Wheat Carrot Cake
- It’s 1/2 cup of apple sauce.
- You need 1/3 cup of maple syrup.
- You need 1 1/2 cups of grated carrots.
- Prepare 2 of eggs beaten.
- Prepare 2 teaspoons of vanilla.
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Prepare 1 1/2 teaspoons of cinnamon.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of ginger.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of baking soda.
- You need 1 teaspoon of baking powder.
- It’s 1 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour.
- It’s 1/2 cup of sunflower seeds.
- It’s 1/2 cup of dried apricots chopped.
The first time I made this vegan carrot cake I was testing it on some coworkers. The next time I made it for my family for Mother's Day (carrot cake is my mom's favorite). Made with healthier substitutions like flax seed, whole wheat white flour, and coconut oil for one delicious cake. Whole wheat flour (spelt flour): It is crucial you use one these flours.
Whole Wheat Carrot Cake step by step
- Preheat oven to 350F..
- Mix apple sauce and maple syrup in a medium bowl. Then add eggs, vanilla and carrots..
- Mix in salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger..
- Add baking soda and baking powder. It is important to add these ingredients separate from the rest but just before the flour as they will give your batter some air bubbles..
- Add the flour. Once it is completely mixed in, add the apricots and sunflower seeds..
- Pour the batter into a greased tin and bake for 1 hour..
White flour or any gluten free flour acts differently. Easy healthy carrot cake recipe starts with baking, frosting and serving it all in the same pan. Cake is so moist, you don't need the frosting between the layers. My very first whole wheat cake ! If you have visited my space before , you might have noticed that healthy baking is not my forte.