Imbolc Ritual Cake (I call this "sun bread"). My mom and I made this sun bread for Litha (the Summer Solstice), but it would also be a great design for Lughnasadh/Lammas coming up soon It's also a fun bread to make whenever you want to bring some sun energy into your life! Start by making your dough, and getting it through the second rise. My mom and I made this sun bread for Litha (the Summer Solstice), but it would also be a great design for Happy Lammas/Imbolc! — Steemit.
My sister-in-law shared a recipe with me for Lammas Sun Bread that I'll share here as well, but I'll share it in two different versions. As for a Lammas ritual, I don't have any specific plans. I think I do better by just winging it. You can have Imbolc Ritual Cake (I call this "sun bread") using 10 ingredients and 2 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Imbolc Ritual Cake (I call this "sun bread")
- It’s 1 3/4 cups of all-purpose flour.
- You need 3/4 cup of water.
- Prepare 3/4 cup of sugar.
- You need 1/4 cup of vegetable oil.
- It’s 2 tbs. of poppyseeds.
- Prepare 1 tbs. of grated lemon peel.
- Prepare 1 tsp. of baking soda.
- Prepare 2 tbs. of lemon juice.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp. of salt.
- Prepare of powdered sugar.
Or, if you're in the Southern Hemisphere, do you have any plans for Imbolc? For the recipes that call for date syrup or honey, I used honey simply because I had a lot of it. Date syrup was found in my grocery store. Today, garden vegetables like squash, beets, zucchini/courgettes, and parsnips are also great in baking, and inspired this fresh, moist cake.
Imbolc Ritual Cake (I call this "sun bread") step by step
- This is all done in one pan, so clean up is a breeze! Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix flour, sugar, poppy seeds, baking soda, and salt with a fork in an ungreased 9x9x2 baking pan. Stir in the remaining ingredients, except the powdered sugar. Bake 35-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean, and the top is golden brown. Remove from oven and cool. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Makes 8 servings.
The solstice is caused, of course, by the earth's axial tilt reaching it's maximum away from the sun, but there are many interesting rituals and festivals around the world that correspond with this astronomical phenomena: Yalda is observed in Iran, Yule is celebrated by pagans around the world, and Dongzhi in. Check out this solace sun bread tutorial and learn how to shape and paint bread! Disclaimer: Links in the post are Amazon Affiliate links to products I love. There may be other affiliate links to other products I love as well. Full nutritional breakdown of the calories in Sun Bread based on the calories and nutrition in each ingredient, including Wheat flour, white, all-purpose, unenriched, Butter, unsalted, Egg, fresh, whole, raw, Granulated Sugar, Yeast, bakers and the other ingredients in this recipe.