Spiced Toffee Apple Cupcakes. Apple spiced cupcakes with fresh apple pieces topped with a delicious caramel buttercream! Quarter and core the apples, then slice quite thinly, tossing in a little lemon juice as you go. Quickly beat together the cake ingredients with an electric whisk until smooth, then scrape into the baking tray.
I was obsessed with them growing up and can still remember that sweet crunch of the toffee coating, as my teeth made their way through to the juicy apple underneath – pure. These apple spice cupcakes are incredibly moist like banana bread, soft and fluffy like a muffin, rich and decadent like chocolate cake. Apples and caramel are a classic fall flavor combination and I baked today's cupcakes as an excuse to make salted caramel frosting. You can have Spiced Toffee Apple Cupcakes using 13 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Spiced Toffee Apple Cupcakes
- It’s 200 g of dates, roughly chopped.
- It’s 250 g of butter, softened, plus extra for greasing.
- You need 200 ml of milk, plus a splash.
- It’s 280 g of self-raising flour.
- It’s 200 g of light soft brown sugar.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of baking powder.
- It’s 1 tbsp of mixed spice.
- It’s 4 of large eggs.
- It’s 2 tsp of vanilla extract.
- Prepare 3 of small red apple.
- It’s squeeze of lemon juice.
- Prepare handful of toffees.
- It’s of little icing sugar, for dusting.
A light apple cake, topped with toffee cream and an impressive sugar swirl. Maple Buttercream (see Game Plan note. Adorned with maple frosting, these cupcakes are autumn made bite-sized! Game plan: You'll need to make the Maple Buttercream before you begin.
Spiced Toffee Apple Cupcakes step by step
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Line cupcake tray with cases, I used 15 however it will be dependent on the size you are using. (If making a cake, grease and line a 20 x 30cm baking tray with baking parchment.).
- Put the dates and milk in a small pan and bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat and set aside for 15 mins to cool..
- Whizz the date mixture to a smooth purée in a food processor or blender, then scrape into a large mixing bowl. Tip in the butter, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, eggs, mixed spice and vanilla, and set aside while you prepare the apples..
- Quarter and core the apples, then slice quite thinly, tossing in a little lemon juice as you go..
- Quickly beat together the cake ingredients with an electric whisk until smooth, then scrape into the cases (or tray for the cake).
- Arrange the apple slices, for cupcakes, two to three per cupcake. (For the cake: overlap the apple in rows, on top – you should be able to get 3 rows lengthways down the tray.).
- Bake for 20-30 mins until a skewer poked into the centre of one of the cupcake comes out clean. Cool in the tray. (If baking as one cake it will require at least 50-60mins).
- Put the toffees in a small pan with a good splash of milk and gently melt, stirring, until runny. To finish, dust with a little icing sugar, then drizzle sauce over the cakes..
Toffee Apple Pound Cake bursting with sweet toffee bits and cinnamon apples all smothered in the most lick-the-plate-delicious Spiced Caramel Sauce. Everyone will go crazy over this cake! Freshly caramelized apples, cinnamon, vanilla, and lemon come together to make these vegan cupcakes flavored with all things fall. Use a piping bag to pipe generous peaks of vegan buttercream on top, and add a dash of cinnamon and a few caramelized apples as garnishes to your seasonal. Fluffy and moist cupcakes full of apple cinnamon flavor and topped with the perfect toffee frosting.