Kimchi Pancakes. Flour, kimchi, scallions, sugar, vegetable oil, water. Savory Korean kimchi pancakes paired with irresistible Korean pancake dipping sauce! Kimchi pancakes is one of my go to dishes I create when I have a large volume of old sour pungent kimchi.
These easy kimchi pancakes come together in no time, and are the perfect combination of crunchy and chewy. Kimchi pancake is made from a simple batter of kimchi, scallions, salt, and water fried to a crispy Kimchi pancakes (aka kimchijeon) are as easy to make as their breakfast/serve-with-maple-syrup. Kimchi-buchimgae (김치부침개) or kimchi pancake, sometimes also referred to as kimchi-jeon (김치전, Korean pronunciation: [kim.tɕʰi.dʑʌn]), is a variety of buchimgae, or Korean pancake. You can have Kimchi Pancakes using 9 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Kimchi Pancakes
- You need 2 1/2 Cups of All Purpose Flour.
- You need 2 1/2 Cups of Water.
- You need 1 tsp of Salt.
- Prepare 1 of Egg (Beaten).
- It’s 1 1/2-2 Cups of Kimchi.
- You need 1 Tbsp of Kimchi Liquid.
- You need 1 of Red Chili (Sliced).
- You need 1/4 Cup of Green Onions (Sliced).
- You need of Vegetable Oil for Frying.
It is primarily made with sliced kimchi, flour batter and sometimes other vegetables. Kimchi Pancake (김치전 Kimchi Jeon) evokes a special memory or feeling for many Koreans, especially for those who grew up or currently live in the countryside (시골 shigol). These Vegan Kimchi pancakes are spicy, salty, chewy and perfectly crispy. Kimchi pancakes, or kimchijeon, are crispy, a bit chewy, and full of the umami goodness of Korean-style fermented cabbage.
Kimchi Pancakes step by step
- Sift Flour and Salt into a Large Mixing Bowl. Add the Water, and whisk well. Add the Kimchi, Kimchi Liquid, Egg, Red Chili, Green Onions. Stir well. Place mixing bowl in another bowl of ice, or add a few ice cubes to the batter to keep it cold..
- Heat a medium sized skillet over Medium Heat. Add a decent amount of Vegetable oil and spread it evenly in the pan. Once heated, ladle about 2 ladles full of batter into the pan and spread evenly. The pancake should be about 10" diameter. You can make smaller pancakes, if desired. Cook until the pancake is about 2/3 of the way cooked, then flip. Cook until other side is done. Flattening the pancake with your spatula will help it to crisp..
- Serve whole or cut into squares for dipping. These go fabulously well with my soy dipping sauce, which can be found on my recipe page. Enjoy!.
This recipe works especially well with older kimchi that is tangy and full of. Chef John's kimchi pancakes make for an easy meal you can customize with any leftover meat or vegetables. Top them with dancing bonito flakes for umami flavor. Kimchi Pancakes is a comforting meal to make if you have left-over kimchi. In fact, the longer the In Korea, I like to cook these Kimchi pancakes when it is raining outside.